Our Research Topics and Applications of technology
Capture of CO2
- Power generation
- Bioenergy with carbon capture (BECCS)
- Industry (Cement, Steel, Fertiliser, ...)
- Direct Air Capture (DAC)
- Hydrogen production with CO2 capture
Transport of CO2
- Properties of CO2 and mixtures
- Flow characterisation
- Fiscal metering and flow monitoring
- Non-equilibrium phenomena
Utilisation of CO2
- Research supporting Projects of Common Interest (PCI), new CCUS chain concepts and transport networks (including hubs, buffers).
- Integrated concepts of Capture (including DAC) and conversion (One-carbon (C1) – platform molecules) and Synthetic biology for increased conversion efficiencies in biological conversion and efficient downstream product processing.
- Increased uptake of CO2 during carbonation of primary and waste materials for the production of building materials (mineralisation).
- Increased direct uptake of CO2 for polymer production.
- Support new promising CO2 conversion methods based on electrochemical and thermo-catalytic systems, in view of full chain development of ammonia and hydrogen energy carrier applications.
- Synthetic fuels production using CO2
Storage of CO2
- Dynamic storage capacity and pressure-connected volume
- Storage optimisation and injection strategies
- Storage permitting
- Hydrogen underground storage
- Production of biofuels using CO2